Sparkpost in San Francisco, California - Horrible Customer Service

3.7

I reviewed SparkPost API and Dashboard. Wow.

Very good API and very slick Dashboard. We started testing their service and found it to be blazing fast and very (I repeat! VERY) easy to use and integrate into our back end infrastructure. Everything was going just fine until we sent our first campaign out.

We were using their free service to see the results and had plans to upgrade and get some private IP pools. I had all the back end code complete and we fired off our first campaign, to 115 contacts. Everything went downhill from here. Our account was suspended due to abuse of some sort (they never did tell me).

I replied to their suspension email with the details the asked for (where we obtained our 115 contacts, what was in our email). I received a response very quickly. Here is their response: "Thank you for your interest in SparkPost. We strive to offer the very best email service, and to that end, we maintain a strict anti-abuse messaging policy.

Because we cannot offer you the high deliverability you would expect from SparkPost, we must decline to provide our services. We wish you the best in your future business endeavors." So, they suspend my account and after one email of me providing the information they requested, I get that back. To top it off, they won't even reply anymore telling me what we may have done or did not do to comply with their terms of abuse.

I've since switched to (will not name) and our many, many emails are flowing as intended. Sadly, we have various other accounts on Message Systems platform, which we are now in the processing of terminating.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sparkpost Customer Care.

I liked: Free plan, Interface.

I didn't like: Customer service, Lack of transparency, Unprofessionalism.

Sparkpost - Smoke and Mirrors in Email Marketing

1.8

Right now is one of the most difficult times if you're trying to send simple notifications to your paying customers. We signed up with them to send out notification emails based on one's preferences and have even paid Sparkpost for the opportunity to use their email platform.

Through this process there were a number of unfortunate issues and the recurring issue of a lack of transparency on the customer service side that really rubbed me the wrong way from the start. Established email marketing platforms are able to get their emails into the inboxes on major email platforms like Google's Gmail. However, domains properly configured based on Sparkpost's recommendations do not seem to reach the inbox, but rather the dreaded spam folder, making it increasingly annoying for customers to be able to get the notifications that they are paying for. On top of this, trying to expand has led us to deal with issues of them blocking domains for apparently no reason without any actual designation as to what is causing the domain to be blocked.

They do not communicate the reasons for domains being blocked or their decisions being made, making it seem that their decision is either based on personal bias or some other sort of reasoning; perhaps based on the business interests of those involved with the platform.

This is highly concerning since transparency is a requirement for any type of business relationship; having transparency helps both parties understand the expectations and enables them to properly communicate their intentions. That just isn't there with Sparkpost unfortunately.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sparkpost Email Marketing Service.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

I didn't like: Customer service, Deliverability, Lack of transparency, Unprofessionalism.

Sparkpost - Terrible Customer Service

2.6

I emailed SparkPost Customer Service, because one of my secondary domains was rejected by their system. I already had one of my sub-domains approved, and was preparing SMTP infrastructure for one of my others.

Once it was rejected by the system, I was given no reason why, or opportunity to correct the problem. It was simply stated that I needed to contact support. It took many hours for support to reply to me, and it turned out that they were discriminating the content of my website. They did not feel that I had enough content, which makes no sense at all.

No other SMTP company tries to regulate their customers website content. My domain also has an SSL certificate, meaning that my identity is 100% verified, and my site is secure. On top of that, I complied with all other requirements that Spark Post has, which are much more numerable than any other company on the market. I tried to explain to the company that I couldn't install my script until I setup the SMTP Relay system.

The company didn't care, and they were extremely rude, and slow to respond over a 3-day period. Some of the comments made by the support staff were very condescending over the course of about 15 emails exchanged. I contacted their abuse department, which took more than a day to get back to me. They replied way too late, after I had asked to file an official complaint, and they said that they were sorry I decided to leave their service.

Then, the said they were going to terminate my account, as a result of the fact I was going to leave them. Completely unprofessional behavior.

Three whole days of my time was wasted on their platform, and they had no one in their system that I could contact for any real support, or accountability. I am extremely upset about this exchange, and would never-ever recommend this company to any of my professional marketing colleagues in the future.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sparkpost Email Service.

Preferred solution: Sincere Apology, and a commitment to better service in the future..

I liked: Interface, Free plan.

I didn't like: Restrictions, Customer service, Setup hassle, Deliverability speed.

Comments

Columbia, Maryland, United States #1248160

Hi,

I'm the founder (and CTO) of SparkPost. I'd love to talk to you about your experience and see what we can do to improve. Could you shoot me a mail at george [at] sparkpost.com?

Thanks,